Copy Paste Quotes

No evidence of formal security vetting when Andrew became UK trade envoy, minister says

Documents released by government also show late queen was ‘very keen’ for her son to have prominent role

Formal security vetting and due diligence appears not to have been carried out before the appointment of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor as a trade envoy, the government has said, as it emerged that the late queen was “very keen” for her son to take up a prominent role in promoting Britain’s interests.

The first batch of documents relating to the appointment of the former prince as trade envoy by Tony Blair in 2001 includes a memo dated 25 February 2000 and addressed to Robin Cook, then the foreign secretary, in which the then chief executive of British Trade International, David Wright, said Queen Elizabeth II’s “wish” had been for Mountbatten-Windsor, then the Duke of York, to take on the role.

Continue reading...

May 21, 2026 Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Queen Elizabeth II Monarchy

Need the full article?

Use the dedicated news page for the summary, then jump straight to the original source when you want the complete story.